Thursday, April 28, 2005

Damn it people!

My ethics class has been quite enlightening. We're reading lots of different authors and learning lots of stupid views. The most frustrating part is, everyone seems to get something right. (Okay, not everyone. <cough> Gibbard <cough>) Anyway, we just finished the section on the realists, who provide the most accurate account so far. Railton presented a good account of non-moral good. It seems obvious to me what a person's good is, but apparently it's actually difficult for these philosophers to say. A lot of them are wed to desire-fullfillment, even of irrational, stupid, or contradictory desires. Railton gives a decent account of determining best interest via a hypothetical, infailable agent. I wrote my paper correcting Railton, but he did a pretty good job of this. Anyway, I thought if there were any place to get Rand into the curriculum, it would be with these people. So I asked Sam and Chad to recommend something of hers to read. They decided on The Objectivist Ethics. So I'll finish reading that, then recommend it to my prof. Hopefully we can get something really good into the reading if not this term then into next year's.
But that's not what I'm here to write about. Thank's to gmail's privacy-intruding ad system, I was led to this article. It would seem that Toyota's CEO is afraid of his competence. He wants to sabotage his company to help the ailing General Motors and other American companies. Sounds like something straight out of Atlas Shrugged. Please people. Competence is not a crime! If you can't put out, shut up and get the fuck out.

On an unrelated note, I was cleaning off my hard drive and was watching an episode of Penn and Teller's Bullshit!. Apparently these magicians decided it was more fun to tell everyone else how full of shit they are. Anyway, the episode had this very amusing scene in it:



I've never known of a guy owning a dildo, let alone a suitcase full. Not to mention the look of excitement of Penn's face. Teller looks properly disgusted.

Oh, and appreently one of our good friends has started a blog. About time.

Scientist: "I don't think that such a motor should ever be made.... It would be so superior to anything we've got that it would be unfair to lesser scientists, because it would leave no field for their achievements and abilities. I don't think that the strong should have the right to wound the self-esteem of the weak."
Dagney Taggart: < Ordered him out of her office, and sat in incredulous horror before the fact that the most vicious statement she had ever heard had been uttered in a tone of moral righteousness. > - Atlas Shrugged (330)

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]