Thursday, May 19, 2005

The Sentry

Well, today I just got so fed up with work, and waiting, that I finally gave it. I read The Sentry. For those of you (all of you) who don't know, Sentry was the original Marvel superhero. Even before Stan Lee created The Fantastic Four, there was Sentry. Sentry was such a model for all the heroes to come - an inspiration, a mentor, a leader. Then he was not. The story opens with Robert Reynolds, a middle-aged, overweight man with a fear of open spaces. He wakes up and recognizes the sinister presence of The Void, the Sentry's archnemesis. We're taken through Bob's discovery of himself as the Sentry, and why he forgot. Why everyone, including his best friend Reed Richards, forgot. Why Stan Lee, his creator forgot. Why we forgot.
The story was very well done. Quite a tragic story, really. The forgoten hero taken to the extreme. Even in a few issues, Jenkins and Lee managed to really develop this guys inner demons, and his great relationships some major heros - Reed Richards, Spider-Man, even Hulk. The artwork was gorgeous, and they even included some flashbacks to the original comics, which was a very nice touch. The series ended at a closed door (more so than usual), but I've seen Sentry appear on other covers, so I'll have to see where he shows up. But I really like the character. The series was really cool, and the marketing was genius (ask me or google it). Talk to me, I may consider loaning it to you.

'Nuff Said!

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]