Thursday, July 14, 2005

Shitty2Awesome

So today at work was pretty shitty. I felt terrible and hated so much. And it didn't help that I didn't have a lot of interesting exciting work to do today.

But things got better. I saw Jo after work. We went to one of the coffee shops on the Ave and talked for a few hours. That really cheered me up. I've been quite frustrated lately. I'm discouraged for a few reasons. 1) I'm not meeting any new girls. 2) No girls actually seem worth meeting. 3) I'm in love with an ideal which doesn't seem to exist. 4) That this is actually bothering me to begin with. I mean, really, I've never really been that concerned about this subject matter before. I've just kinda always taken it on faith that one day someone incredibly awesome would show up, realize how awesome she is, how I am, and then we'd get married and live happily ever after. Hum. Maybe that is a bit high-hoped of me.

I've also been working on a new program to help me organize all these comic books. It's amazing what a difference it has made. It actually seems do-able (no, not possible, do-able). Amazing. I also got to learn a lot of new stuff, like multi-threading in C#. Fortunately, I don't have to do much synchronization between my threads, but it is nice to have that which we did in OS come in handy. I'm still quite impressed by how much it speeds up response time. The program opens up rar files and displays previews, along with extracting the files to another folder. Since this is IO heavy, it made good sense to do it in a separate thread. So now I don't have to wait for anything. I can't scroll down a list of files and see the previews appear immediately unless they've all shown up before (it does some weak caching, but still extracts directly, so it does end up doing the work twice, dunno if I'm going to bother improving it). Anyway, if anyone would like to see it in action, I can send you source and/or the single/multithreaded versions. (Though I'm sure none of you really care at all <cries>).

I've added new music to my approved list:
Spoon (pretty freakin' awesome), Gorillaz and Audioslave (with emphasis on latest albums), Nine Inch Nails' With Teath, The Darkness, The Faint, The Decemberists, Portishead's Dummy, Jack Johnson (quite surprisingly, I might add), Anna Nalick, Stars, and of course, the awesomeness of Electric Six.

"Fire in the disco! Fire in the, Taco Bell! Fire in the disco! Fire in the, gates of Hell. Don't you wanna know how we keep startin'fires? It's my desire. It's my desire..." - Electric Six, High Voltage

"He put coat and tie on / Over fitted shirt.... / I long for the days / They use to say / Ma'am and Yes Sir... When I go out tonight / I'm gonna put on a fitted shirt." - Spoon, Fitted Shirt

PS I even own a fitted shirt now! Ahaha!

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]