Friday, October 28, 2005

The Rest of Today

was awesome.

We had the career fair today, and though I printed off a few resumes with bad margins (cut off part of the 'A' in "CA" on one line), it went pretty well. Well, the Microsoft guy did. I came in and went straight to him. He recognized me, which is good, I've seen him three times now at department events. We talked a bit, and he got right to the big questions. "Where would be your dream position at Microsoft?" "What can you do for us?" I really should have been more aware of htis and prepared for the questions, but I was not - at least consciously. I said I'd like to work on C# and language development. Developmental tools. It's really important to make it really easy to design applications. Things are going to become more modularized, and it needs to be as easy as possible for the average Joe User to be able to throw together a shell script, or add functionality he needs. There will always be Skript Kiddies, but we need everyone doing this. This is what drove the uptake of Visual Basic. It was simple enough that it could be used to throw together a program. We need to make it even easier. I was thinking about graphic artists a lot as I was saying all this, though I didn't mention it, unfortunately. Jeff stopped me as I was talking. He said they'd be interviewing in the next few weeks, so I'm crossing my fingers.

I was surprised how much the other companies just looked at what classes I had taken. I guess they weren't really expecting experience or anything like that; not too unreasonable, considering we're all still students, but still. Our department's got awesome people in it with great resumes.

I went to a production on campus tonight of Shakespeares' The Tempest. It was pretty awesome. The stage consisted of a square platform in the middle of the room with seating on all four sides. I'm usually not a fan of this type of stage format, but they pulled it off quite well. Their props were boxes and a trapeze. They had fairy stagehands as invisible minions of Prospera (yeah, Prospero was a girl, she did it well) move the boxes around to the relevant positions on stage: under feat, as walls, for sitting, for sleeping, etc.. It was a really cool format, and a well-done production. And it had some really cute chicks. High praises all around.

Chorus: "What is beautiful is what is always loved." - Euripides' Bakkhai

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]